ACTIONS TO TAKE TO GET QUALITY NIGHTTIME SLEEP
- Maintain a regular sleep and wake time 7 days a week.
- Turn your bedroom into a sleep-inducing environment.
- Establish a soothing pre-sleep routine.
- Use your bedroom for sleep. Do not text, tweet, email, watch TV or eat in bed.
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol too close to bedtime.
- If possible, don’t nap during the day or evening. If you have to nap, take it early and nap for an hour or less.
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
- Lighten up on evening meals.
- If you can’t fall asleep after about 20 minutes, get out of bed.
Don’t Be a Nighttime Clock-Watcher. Realize that frustration and ‘trying harder’ to fall asleep can keep anyone awake!